Friday, July 06, 2012

Too Hot to Cook Oreo Pudding Pie


Oreo Chocolate Pudding Pie

This Fourth of July, it was too hot to do anything but sit inside, the air conditioning blowing, and watch movie marathons. Ok, I went online for a little while. Shh. Don't tell anyone. 

Whatever is one supposed to do when one wants to have a sweet treat to go with one's grilled steak and corn feast?  One certainly isn't about to turn on the stove, let alone the oven. So one searches the internet to find no cook desserts and then goes to one's pantry to figure out what one has in stock.

Or that's what I did, anyway.

What I finally came up with was this no cook Oreo triple layer pie. Oreos. Instant pudding. Milk. Heavy Cream for whipping. I didn't follow the recipe exactly, I almost never do... but I did notice just now that I put too many cookies into the crust. Whoops. Almost the whole package.  Perhaps that's why the crust crumbled when I took it out of the pan. And I used unsweetened whipped cream instead of koolwhip, which, while it is more labor intensive, I think is actually an improvement on the recipe. It avoids the chemical taste of koolwhip and cuts the sweetness. I didn't add the cookie pieces to the whipped cream, either, because I like the smoothness without the crunch. I also think non instant pudding would be better but I didn't have any, and I wasn't about to turn on the stove to make pudding, either. 
24 oreos (plus more for garnish) food processed into crumbs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 packages instant chocolate pudding mix
2 1/2 cups milk
1 half pint heavy cream, whipped

Mix oreo crumbs with melted butter and press into bottom and sides of  9" pie pan. Mix pudding according to pie instructions on the box (you know, pour milk into pudding mix and stir until combined.) Spoon half pudding mix into the pie plate and spread out evenly. Add half of the whipped cream to the remaining pudding mix and mix together. Add to pie plate and spread out evenly. Add remaining whipped cream to the top of the pie and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with cookie crumb garnish. Put in the refrigerator to chill/set. (The recipe says four hours, but with the instant pudding, it was definitely ready by the time dinner was finished, about 2 hours.)

If you want, garnish pie with mocha syrup. That was my daughter's idea, and it was really good. This pie is not nearly sweet as you'd expect it to be and is pretty light, although do not imagine that means you can eat another piece and not get a stomach ache. At least that's what happened to me.

Ok, well this isn't one of my recipes and it's a pretty well known one, I guess, but I've never made it, and it was easy, and I do really like the sub of fresh whipped cream. It satisfied my needs and hit the spot, so I'm posting it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...